Boman
05-26-2013, 02:26 AM
Estate by Whirlpool
Model - TEDX640JQ1
Serial - MR117249
Timer - 8299781

Timer does not advance in any mode.

According to the schematic the auto low heat should close TM-OR, BK-BU-V, BK-R
BK and BU closes, but no reading with either with V.

Checked this timer in the house with a sketch of the settings on the machine hoping I am checking in the right position.

If I am right, would this cause the timer not to advance?

Actually, I thought I had some trouble with V when I partially checked the timer while it was still on the machine.

About ready to tear this timer apart to see how it looks. Its been a while.

Oh and, I hope I am not double posting things here, but the timer motor shows no continuity. Have a gusetion about, but I make anopther post.

jeff1
05-26-2013, 03:11 AM
but the timer motor shows no continuity

They are often very high.....2000-5000 ohms.

Timer does not advance in any mode

Set on timed dry, if you have power across the 2 brown wires for the timer motor 308 and no movement/advancing = new timer time.

jeff.

Boman
05-26-2013, 10:52 AM
They are often very high.....2000-5000 ohms.

I did not know that. I thought I used to always check them on the sound setting of the meter ( under 100 ohms?)

Anyway,I just checked it with the meter set on 20,000. It is dead.

Another thing I didn't know and was told a day or two ago, is that some timer run on 220 volts. According to the schematics on this dryer, it may very well run on 220.
According to the schematic, it looks like one leg comes through the dryer motor switch.
Comment?

Thanks Jeff.

Almost forgot, I did check for voltage at the timer wires. Different voltages would flash very quickly then infinity. Does this point to the motor switch?

jeff1
05-26-2013, 01:47 PM
Another thing I didn't know and was told a day or two ago, is that some timer run on 220 volts.

Most still run on 120 volts but yes there are some dryer timer motors that will run on 240 volts.

According to the schematic, it looks like one leg comes through the dryer motor switch.
Comment?

Yes, L2 often comes through the motor heat switch (http://www.applianceaid.com/images/wlpdryerdiagrmasample.gif).

Almost forgot, I did check for voltage at the timer wires. Different voltages would flash very quickly then infinity. Does this point to the motor switch?

That would be one possibility yes.

jeff.