PDA

View Full Version : Timer issue

Boman
06-06-2013, 03:01 AM
What would damage the cogs/teeth on a timer to where the timer knob will not work/turn the timer?

I have a GE that has a timer that will not turn by using the knob. The teeth on the knob are okay, but the ones on the timer are damaged, and you have to push in on the ring around the knob, turn it where you want it then pull the timer knob.

Wondering what would have done this to the timer?

jeff1
06-06-2013, 11:41 AM
Washer timer?...if yes, it is unfortunately the cheap plactic GE uses on the clutch part of the timer.

jeff.

Boman
06-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Yep, it is a washer. Works fine except for the timer issue.
Trying to figure the best way to fix the timer ring/indicator so it can be turned with wet hands.

Velcro tape? Very small screws on both sides?

I don't know, seems a shame to scrap it just because of this timer thing. Someone might still get some use out of it.

jeff1
06-06-2013, 03:19 PM
See if the timer can be rebuilt at a reasonable cost...
http://www.applianceaid.com/appliance-timer-repair.php

jeff.

Boman
06-06-2013, 07:40 PM
As of right now, I have the motor from that machine on another. It seems to do okay, except right now, it is in the light part of the cotton section on the timer, and it stops. A soak cycle?

I'm waiting to see if it advances to rinse and spin.
It might be that I can take the stem from this machine and put in the other. I don't know, I was trying to remove the inner basket on the first one so I could clean the outter basket, a lid clip was giving me a problem and I sorta yanked the front off. Yeah, it's toast.
Thats when I thought, Hey I got htis other, it may be a GE. This is the one I posted about I thought maybe the motor was bad. I took the motor from one, and put iton the other.

The number on the motors were the same except orf one letter. The motor connector looked the same as far as pins were concerned.
Anyway, still waiting for this thing to get past light.

jeff1
06-06-2013, 11:26 PM
It seems to do okay, except right now, it is in the light part of the cotton section on the timer, and it stops. A soak cycle?

-Usually- only the PP cycle has a pause/cooldown or soak built in.
Checked the wire diagram?...often has the cycle chart there.

jeff.

Boman
06-06-2013, 11:57 PM
Actually, I think it was doing the pause/soak thing when it sits there with water in it. When it stops with no water, it is at the end of the MEDIUM cycle. The fact there is no 'OFF' between cycles was throwing me off.

jeff1
06-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Got a model#?
http://www.applianceaid.com/model-number.php

jeff.