PDA

View Full Version : GE mini frig wont get cold

maria
06-12-2013, 12:42 PM
Hi guys -- I have a 3 year old GE Mini Frig we keep in the backyard for parties. We are getting ready for a party this weekend and defrosted and cleaned it out and alas, now it won't get cold. I have tried unplugging it for a few hours but nothing is working. THe frig hums like it is working and upon further investigation, i believe that the compressor was hot (large black roundish thing) and that there was a hose or metal tubing that goes up to the frig had ice on it. When I checked it again this morning, the whole piece seemed to be coated in ice. I'm wondering if this means that my compressor is still good but that the problem is somewhere in the line (like a clog). Could that be possible? IF so, can i fix it? I live on Long Island and for the price of calling in a repair guy, I could get a new mini frig. SO considering I'm selectively cheap, does anyone think they can walk me through a home repair?!?

Thanks,
Maria

chrisb
06-12-2013, 12:44 PM
Sounds like low on gas. Probably has a leak somewhere.
This is not a DIY repair.

jeff1
06-12-2013, 03:58 PM
Hi,

i believe that the compressor was hot (large black roundish thing) and that there was a hose or metal tubing that goes up to the frig had ice on it.

Which tubing? 326 Example.

Slightly odd to have frost/ice on the tubing with no cooling at all....does -sound- like a system issue ( leaker, restriction, inefficient compressor or any combination of these ) which is not a DIY repair like Chris mentioned.

jeff.

maria
06-12-2013, 09:30 PM
The metal tubing on the far left of the picture (that has the tubular piece connected to it) was cold and had ice on it this morning. I should go check it again. The frig is filled with beer and there was some condensation but not enough to keep the beer cool. Drat...

Sounds like i'm off to purchase another mini frig :(

jeff1
06-12-2013, 09:52 PM
The metal tubing on the far left of the picture (that has the tubular piece connected to it) was cold and had ice on it this morning.

That is a restriction in the drier......probably $150 to repair.
If over 50% of the cost to get a new one, go with the new one.

jeff.

maria
06-12-2013, 10:13 PM
I just ran outside to check it again. That tubing is cold but now does not have ice on it. The compressor it hot to the touch (so much so that I can place my hand on it of an extended period of time; and inside the frig...warm :(

Not looking good. Thanks to both of you for your input and efforts to help.

jeff1
06-13-2013, 02:14 AM
Your welcome, happy shopping time ;)

jeff.