PDA

View Full Version : oily looking agitator

Boman
06-29-2013, 10:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5wIN1J70-Y

Jeff, what causes the oily area on this agitator? Tranny? Seal?

I have Kenmore just like it.
I'm thinking the previous owner got into it trying to fix it as the nut was way tight and there was some grease or oil at the nut on the shaft. There is no oil on the inner basket I can see, but there is some on the top part of the agitator.

Other than that, it seems to run fine after I cleaned it up (pretty nasty) and replaced the coupler.
Model - 110.16512690
Serial # - CF3104777 Believe it to be 1996 (F)

jeff1
06-30-2013, 02:51 AM
Hi,

what causes the oily area on this agitator? Tranny? Seal?

On the video?...if yes, that appears to be fabric softener, it is often oily feeling to the touch.
This product appears to have been manufactured July of 1996.

jeff.

Boman
06-30-2013, 11:58 AM
Is this residue usually hard to clean off?
I have the top part of my agitator soaking in water and Mean Green. I had sprayed it with the mixture with little effect. I decided to just soak it in a little weaker mix over night.

I did not think of softener residue being this color, almost like smoke residue. Interesting that it is only on the agitator too. I can see why it might sttle on the ..fins of the agitator but find it strange how it also is on the vertical part.

I guess to be on the safe side, I may run some white towels/rags in the washer and check for any spots. I say this because when I took the agitator off, there was some wet oil like something at the top of the tranny shaft/seal/nut.
But, I think this may be something the previous owner may have done trying to fix it.
Thanks.

jeff1
06-30-2013, 01:19 PM
Is this residue usually hard to clean off?

Yes! I often use my pressure washer.

I took the agitator off, there was some wet oil like something at the top of the tranny shaft/seal/nut.
But, I think this may be something the previous owner may have done trying to fix it.

Kinda sounds like it....maybe the bolt was a little rusty and they added something to it like you think...or they thought the dogs should be lubed.

jeff.