PDA

View Full Version : centrifigal switch

Boman
07-10-2013, 12:16 PM
Does this switch on a dryer have anything to do with opening and closing the red wires ( 1m and ..6m?) and providing heat, or does it only affect the start and run windings?

jeff1
07-10-2013, 03:25 PM
Both.
Often 1-2 are for heat only and have nothing to do with the motor.
3-4-5-6 are for the motor running/starting.

M1 and M2 are heat.
353 Example only!
M4 M5 M6 are for running/starting the motor.

They all work off of the cetrifugal switch/mechanism.

jeff.

Boman
07-11-2013, 12:56 AM
Two heavy reds are heat, right?

On this motor the circuit closes when I manually activate the centrifugal switch.

Btw, I can't tell anything about the images posted here, too small. Maybe I can copy them and paste them in Paint or some image editing app to enlarge them.

jeff1
07-11-2013, 02:39 AM
I can't tell anything about the images posted here, too small.

Put your mouse over it and click.....it becomes bigger.

On this motor the circuit closes when I manually activate the centrifugal switch.

The motor heat switch should, it closes to complete the heat circuit once the motor is up and running.

Two heavy reds are heat, right?

That usually is correct yes...two heavy(er) wires are the heat ones.

jeff.

Boman
07-11-2013, 01:08 PM
Put your mouse over it and click.....it becomes bigger

Thanks a bunch for that ..and all your replies.

So the centrifugal switch serves as the heat switch and switches the windings from start to run?

I was referring to the motor plug as the heat switch. Is the heat switch actually an integral part of the motor?

Not meaning to show my ignorance, just thinking I will learn to spell centri...centrifugal if I type it enough with the help of spell check.

I think I did it that time with no help.

jeff1
07-11-2013, 03:24 PM
So the centrifugal switch serves as the heat switch and switches the windings from start to run?

Correct.

Is the heat switch actually an integral part of the motor?

Nope, it hs nothing to do with the motor itself running or not running.

jeff.

Boman
07-12-2013, 11:24 AM
Nope, it hs nothing to do with the motor itself running or not running.

So if the centrifugal switch was removed, how would it affect the windings in the motor? The motor would run on whatever winding was wired up like low and high spe ??ed? And not burn the start windings up if wired that way?

jeff1
07-12-2013, 11:38 AM
The centrifugal switch cannot be removed, it switches from start winding to run winding....the heat part is not required for the motor.
Do rememeber the centrifugal switch is mechanical and electrical.....mechanical part is attached to the armature inside the motor, electrical part is the switches and contacts that open and close.

jeff.