View Full Version : Manufacturer numbers

Boman
07-28-2013, 02:29 AM
Jeff, could you give me the link to manufacturer prefixes?

Daughters fridge might still be acting up, and I am curious as to who made it. It is a Kenmore Coldspot model - 106.79852991

Had some milk to go a little sour. All I found on a preliminary check was a little ice in the chute from the freezer to the fresh food compartment. I have to say it did not seem to bhe very much air flow at all coming from the freezer. Almost felt like just cold coming from a hole in the freezer rather than any kind of forced air flow. The fan was running. Maybe I need to check that the fan blade is on securely. Actually, the air flow in the freezer from the fan felt fine.

I may need to recheck the frost pattern on the evap coils.
I did turn the timer to defrost. The heater came on. I waited about 20 minutes, and it advanced and the compressor came back on.

She lives several miles away so I am trying to recall the other things I need to check.

Fan on compressor
Dirty condensor coils, etc.

Is the little bit of ice in the air chute from the freezer normal?

I did tell them to try not to block the air flow at that location.

So far, I am assuming the timer, defrost heater, defrost stat, and evaporator fan are all good because the evap coils were not frozen over when I uncovered them, and the timer advanced itself from defrost to cooling.

Of course, I guess this could be one of those intermitten things that are just aggravating to catch.

I am trying to remember exactly what the frost pattern looked like. I am thinking most of the frost was at the top and to the right on the coils and little to almost none at the bottom. Low freon or blockage?

Enough rambling for now. Any comments on this particular model not cooling would be appreciated if it has any quirks of its own I might need to know about.

Thanks.

Boman
07-28-2013, 07:35 AM
Disregard the mfg number list. I found the one on your website.

Boman
07-28-2013, 08:04 AM
In the defrost trouble section of Applianceaid, it says if you advance the df timer to defrost , as I did, and the heater comes on, to replace the timer and df stat ( I think ).

I know this has been explained to before, but why wouldn't the heater come on when manually advanced to the defrost cycle? Why is this a sign of a bad timer and/or stat?

jeff1
07-28-2013, 11:46 AM
G'day,

why wouldn't the heater come on when manually advanced to the defrost cycle?

Bad heater, open defrost thermostat are most common....bad timer contact is possible but rare.

Why is this a sign of a bad timer and/or stat?

If you had a frost build up ( all coils plugged solid with frost ) and the heater comes on when you manually set a defrost cycle, then the parts ( timer and stat ) that are suppose to automatically defrost the refrigerator are not.

Is the little bit of ice in the air chute from the freezer normal?

A little often is, the temp difference between the freezer and fresh food section will cause a little condensation that can freeze.

I am trying to remember exactly what the frost pattern looked like. I am thinking most of the frost was at the top and to the right on the coils and little to almost none at the bottom. Low freon or blockage?

Have a cell phone? Maybe take a picture to help remind you. If only some of the coils are frosted and some are bare does indicate a system issue....leaker, restriction or inefficient compressor.

jeff.

Boman
07-28-2013, 11:45 PM
Bad heater, open defrost thermostat are most common....bad timer contact is possible but rare.

If this was the case, the coils would be frozen up. Right? That or hot if the heater was staying on.

If you had a frost build up ( all coils plugged solid with frost ) and the heater comes on when you manually set a defrost cycle, then the parts ( timer and stat ) that are suppose to automatically defrost the refrigerator are not.

I will try to think of the cell phone next time. Got a feeling it won't be long.

We found a nice stainless teel fridge over the weekend and bought it. It will not fit where her fridge goes. Thats the bad news. Good news is I can make money on it.

May be getting back with you on this one. Not sure, I am getting a bad feeling on it.

That I can understand. Goes back to my thought in my first sentence.

A little often is, the temp difference between the freezer and fresh food section will cause a little condensation that can freeze.

Thanks. I guess the key word is "little".

jeff1
07-29-2013, 01:48 PM
If this was the case, the coils would be frozen up. Right?

Right.

I will try to think of the cell phone next time

Good.

jeff.

Boman
08-13-2013, 09:47 PM
Update

The little bit I was able to clean the coils seems to have done the trick. Just getting the temps set now. The food section is real close to 40 degree. Trying to get 10 degree for the freezer.

jeff1
08-14-2013, 01:51 AM
0?F and 39?F is normal.

jeff.

Boman
08-14-2013, 08:52 AM
Makes for some hard ice cream!
I hate to dig into very hard ice cream. I get the feeling the scoop might slip and cut me. One reason I will try for 10 degrees.

jeff1
08-14-2013, 12:41 PM
I hate to dig into very hard ice cream

That's why I let my wife do that ;) :D

jeff.

Boman
08-15-2013, 11:19 AM
Now that's a thought! LOL!