PDA

View Full Version : Ohm reading on a stove terminal block

Boman
07-30-2013, 02:00 AM
Jeff, what readings should you get when ohming each line to the frame or case on a 3 wire stove terminal? What setting on a digital meter?
To be clear, I am talking about the terminal block at the back of the stove where the power chord attaches.

Thanks, hate to show my ignorance.

jeff1
07-30-2013, 12:48 PM
what readings should you get when ohming each line to the frame or case on a 3 wire stove terminal? What setting on a digital meter?

Why are you taking an ohm reading there? Wires should be off to ohm and you should get no reading from the t-block to the frame....with the wires attached the white/neutral may shows a reading to ground.

jeff.

Boman
07-30-2013, 04:26 PM
The ground strapp is gone on this one, and I called myself checking for a possible short from the lines to the frame.

I will double check but seems my digital meter wanted to show a high resistance, especially from line 1.

I have another stove, and it checked the same way. May be something wrong with my meter.
Anyway, I am going to reinstall a ground strap on the Tappan to be safe.

Boman
07-30-2013, 04:44 PM
k, I have 4 electric stoves including the one in my house. When checking with digital meter set on sound, they all give a reading on at least one of the prongs besides the ground/neutral ( line 1 or line 2)prong on the cord to a screw head on the frame. Sometimes it acted like it wanted to just flash a reading and I have to push the meter probe kinda hard, so maybe it is this pushing hard on the meter probe that is causing crazy readings.

Boman
07-30-2013, 09:38 PM
Oops! The Tappan does have the strap. It was attached to the bottom and inside the case where I did not see it.

jeff1
07-31-2013, 06:08 PM
I have 4 electric stoves including the one in my house. When checking with digital meter set on sound, they all give a reading on at least one of the prongs besides the ground/neutral ( line 1 or line 2)prong on the cord to a screw head on the frame.

You are ohming with the wires still attached?...yes you can get a reading through something like a light, clock or such to ground.

jeff.