PDA

View Full Version : no spin kenmore direct drive

Boman
08-13-2013, 11:38 PM
Hub spins, but the shaft does not. Agitates fine.

Transmission? Brake? Clutch?

jeff1
08-14-2013, 01:57 AM
Hub spins, but the shaft does not

Tub nut spins? Tranny shaft just goes along for the ride during the spin.
If yes, kinda sounds like a worn out drive block.
http://www.applianceaid.com/direct-drive-washer-not-spinning.php

jeff.

Boman
08-14-2013, 02:10 AM
The hub I mention is the clutch hub.

If I remember correctly, nothing inside the tub moves.

I removed the motor and pump to use a coupler I have on a rod and inserted in a drill to see if I could get the tub to spin when running the drill ccw. Nothing.

I have been searching on the net and I guess I will check the drive block.

Btw, thanks for that link,

Boman
08-14-2013, 12:33 PM
I looked this morning and the block and tabs still look good. The tabs look like they are still fitting in the gaps on the block.
How do I determine whether the problem is the transmission (probably) or something else?

jeff1
08-14-2013, 12:36 PM
The hub I mention is the clutch hub.

Watch for the clutch drum to turn ( brown section in picture A ). If it is turning but the inner wash tub is not, then more often than not you have a worn clutch lining or a weak spin spring, also the brake may have seized up. If the clutch drum is not turning and washer is not spinning, often the failure is in the transmission gear box.

jeff.

thefixer
08-14-2013, 01:15 PM
Running your drill CCW is agitation direction, not spin.

Boman
08-14-2013, 05:56 PM
It is the clutch hub/drum that is turning. Nothing inside the washer turns.

I see the spin gear but not the spin spring.
Can these transmission parts be bought individually?

Running your drill CCW is agitation direction, not spin
Oops! Not the first time I got something backwards. Hehehe!

thefixer
08-14-2013, 08:22 PM
If clutch hub is spinning, gearcase is ok. Clutch is probably slipping due to worn pads on the clutch band, weak spring on clutch band, broken brake cam driver, sticking brakes, clothing between tubs or bad drive block. Remove gearcase, grab brake cam driver and rotate CCW. Should release brakes and rotate basket. If it rotates fairly easily, check clutch pads. Check for oil leakage into clutch hub from gearcase.

Eric

Boman
08-15-2013, 11:05 AM
Yep, gravitating to the clutch area as I had originally hoped might be the problem.

Thanks guys.

jeff1
08-15-2013, 12:25 PM
Keep us posted :)

jeff.

Boman
08-16-2013, 01:27 AM
So I had removed the motor and set it in the shop in anticipation of ordering a clutch. I decided early this morning to check the clutch. Has heavy duty clutch in it. Looked good. I could move it but not real easily. I used a little sandpaper on the 6 pads and the hub, blew and wiped both off and replaced everything. Decided, what the heck, see if it works. Agitate but no spin...again. I did think it odd that I could not move the brake and turn the tub by hand no matter how hard I tried. Now I'm thinking something is between the tubs or the spin tube is rusted to something. I had thought it did spin when I got it, but now I'm wondering if I ever actuallyu saw it spinning or just thought it was because it sounded like it was.

Anyway, same think. Spinning clutch hub but nothing in the washer moving. I have the ..jacket off and am watching the thing. I happened to think of all the crud I washed off the outer basket with the water nozzle. Now I'm thinking some of that stuff is wedged and or packed in somewhere causing problems. I had already called myself checking the pump. When I washed the crud off the sides of the outer tub, I thought I will need to run several cycles to get all that stuff out.

Next move was to remove the inner tub and check for foreign objects or crud, rust, etc. causing problems. This thing had been stored in a barn-like shed for some time.

I got my spanking new spanner wrench and tried to remove the tub nut. It did not want to budge, neither did the tub when I tried to spin it by hand in either direcrion. I sprayed some Blaster on it and gave it a few good whacks. After a few good whacks and the Blaster activating, I though I noticed some movement. The nut still had not turned on the threads. The whole tube had moved a little. Then whatever broke free. I never had to remove the inner basket. Ran several cycles through it with a load of towels. Did fine! No funny noises or anything.

First time I ever used a spanner wrench. Glad I bought it.

jeff1
08-16-2013, 12:35 PM
Post/tube bearings probably dried out from sitting. Wouldn't hurt to try and get some oil down there. Might be difficult if the tub wont come out.

jeff.

Boman
08-16-2013, 02:38 PM
Probably right. Some sort bearing had crossed my mind, butI as hoping there would be some kind of sound to alert me to that. Like you said, it wouldn't hurt to put some oil on it I guess.

40 weight? Or, do I need to get some grease on it?

These bearings something that needs special tool to remove?

jeff1
08-16-2013, 06:42 PM
40 weight? Or, do I need to get some grease on it?

A turbine like oil works fine...

389 Zoom spout oiler with extending dispenser tube (http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=964956)

These bearings something that needs special tool to remove

Yes.

jeff.

Boman
08-17-2013, 10:07 AM
Turbine oil anything like 3 in 1 machine oil?

jeff1
08-18-2013, 01:12 PM
Should be close.

jeff.

Boman
08-19-2013, 02:34 PM
Then I think I will just try to get some 3 in 1 in to the bearings.

How far to I need to tear it down? Just remove the inner basket?

AW! Looks a little more involved than that. :(

jeff1
08-19-2013, 04:56 PM
AW! Looks a little more involved than that.

Properly, yes.
If you can get some in from the top, certainly try first.

jeff.

Boman
08-20-2013, 02:33 AM
Jeff, what is the possibility that the brake had stuck during storage? My hammering on the tub nut broke it free?

I mean this thing sounds normal after it broke loose. No kind of strange sounds at all.

jeff1
08-20-2013, 02:47 AM
Anything can rust/stick from sitting :(

jeff.