PDA

View Full Version : black residue

Boman
08-14-2013, 01:52 AM
I think we have had similar discussion to this before, but what causes black residue on the agitator and around the top of the tub in a washer? It will wash off with some scrubbing and Ajax or Comet.

Softener? Oil from the transmission?

Seems I have seen this more lately than I ever did before when I was working on appliances.
I had one that had a little on the agitator and I noticed this same maching had a ring about 3" around the top of the tub. Kinda makes me think of how oil might float to the top and leave a ring when using a full tub of water. I almost didn't see it, but I do a fairly in depth cleaning on these used machines.

Maybe its just a lot of oily clothes being washed.

Comments appreciated.

jeff1
08-14-2013, 02:04 AM
Softener?

Old softener gets black/grey and is oily.
Oils from body skin also float on the water and get deposited on the upper part of the washer.
Greasy clothes certainly contributes.

The "black residue" is likely all of these things combined together....with some soap and water chemicals added in.

jeff.

Boman
08-14-2013, 02:06 AM
I sure hope that is all it is.

Thanks

jeff1
08-14-2013, 12:33 PM
Tranny oil is 80 weight gear oil.....much worse!

jeff.

Boman
08-14-2013, 06:21 PM
Does it look brownish like peanut butter? Guess that would depend on its age and whatever else it might be mixing with?

The reason I ask is another washer I have that had this pennut butter like substance under the agitator I posted about a while back.

I read somewhere that washers are designed in such a way that oil is not likely to get to the inside of the washer.

I think I am going to have to completely disassemble one to see how it put together. I think I may have been in one a lonnng time ago.

jeff1
08-15-2013, 02:21 AM
Does it look brownish like peanut butter?

Not normally, yellow to black.

jeff.