View Full Version : GE drain assembly

Boman
08-20-2013, 11:42 PM
Model - WBSE2090AOWw
Serial - LZ107763G

Where the drain hose connects at the bottom to the pump discharge, is supposed have an insert of some kind, or does the hose just push into the discharge pipe and is held in place by the retainer?

I have one that has part of the discharge hose from the pump missing. This is the flange like part that fits outside the cabinet. The retainer is gone. The complaint was a water leak at the drain pipe. Can I put a retainer on this machine and expect it not to leak?
I ran it through a cycle empty with the hose just securely pushed into the discharge pipe. It went through the cycle with no noticeable leak. Maybe 1/4 of the flange part of the discharge hose is missing, ujst the part that fits outside the cabinet like to maybe keep it from going inside the cabinet.

Or can the hose from the pump out, what I am calling the dischage hose, be bought separately from the pump and label assembly?

P. S. What is the 'label' part? it

Thanks

jeff1
08-21-2013, 02:38 AM
Where the drain hose connects at the bottom to the pump discharge, is supposed have an insert of some kind, or does the hose just push into the discharge pipe and is held in place by the retainer?

Pushed into the rubber grommet and the retainer clamp is held in place by 2 screws.

I have one that has part of the discharge hose from the pump missing. This is the flange like part that fits outside the cabinet.

The part that grommets onto the cabinet would be important for sure as the hose could certainly fall inside if pressed against.

Can I put a retainer on this machine and expect it not to leak?

I don't think I would.

Maybe 1/4 of the flange part of the discharge hose is missing

398 Drain hose, pump to cabinet Manufacturer Number WH41X374 (http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=279922)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NIbZ2R7XHSQ

jeff.

Boman
08-21-2013, 11:47 AM
Thanks Jeff. I noticed in that diagram, the drain hose is corrugated (?). Anyway, the one on this machine is long and smooth. I have another GE that has the corrugated hose. I am kind of wondering if the original hose has been replaced and maybe the outer lip was damaged on the pump to cabinet hose when the drain hose was installed.

Thanks again. I had missed the pump to cabinet hose when I looked at the diagram for that machine before I posted.

jeff1
08-21-2013, 12:47 PM
I noticed in that diagram, the drain hose is corrugated (?).

It should be corrugated.

399 Washing machine corrugated drain hose, 4-1/2 feet Manufacturer Number WH41X10096 (http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=1026050)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFOijnoMFK4&feature=player_embedded

jeff.

Boman
08-21-2013, 04:08 PM
I think someone needed a little longer cord and drain pipe. The cord had been spliced and is a little longer than normal, and the drain pipe is smooth and longer than normal also.

jeff1
08-21-2013, 04:18 PM
Sounds like you are correct!

jeff.

Boman
08-22-2013, 10:55 AM
I'm glad I replaced the hoses. The one I put on it has a beveled edge that fits into the pump to cab hose snuggly as I tighten the screws for the retainer. The one that was with it fit inside the pump to cab hose and may have worked with the retainer as it did not leak when I tried it, but I feel much safer with the change.

I don't care much for the corrugated pipe, but I like the fit much better.

jeff1
08-22-2013, 12:49 PM
I don't care much for the corrugated pipe

They don't kink as easily as rubber hoses do!

jeff.

Boman
08-23-2013, 03:13 PM
I guess, but when I think of these corrugated hard plastic like hoses, I think of pin holes. The flexible rubber like one I have no problem with.

jeff1
08-23-2013, 04:17 PM
Yupper!

jeff.

Boman
08-24-2013, 01:03 AM
when I think of these corrugated hard plastic like hoses, I think of pin holes.

Sold this thing after repalcing the hose with the correct (used) one yesterday. Got a call today wanting me to come look at it. There was a puddle of water in the apartment where it was installed by the buyer for his daughter and her college room mates.
Yep pin hole in the corrugated hose. I cut it back for the time being and slipped the hook( soft rubber) he had taken off his trade-in back on the short straight piece. I am going back tomorrow to put a clamp and or glue it on to make sure it does not slip out or start leaking there.

jeff1
08-24-2013, 02:38 AM
Yep pin hole in the corrugated hose

That was a new hose wasn't it? Must have rubbed in the move? Wrap up with some black electrical tape as a temp repair has done good for me.

jeff.

Boman
08-24-2013, 08:30 AM
I just cut it back past the pinhole and slipped the hooked part back on it.
And no, it was not a new hose. It was on a machine that has set outside for a while. I prob should have known better. Guy came to look at another washer, and I told him some people were on there way to get that one, but I had another that would be ready the next day. He paid a deposit, and I took the used hose and retainer off the machine that had been sitting out in the weather covered up. It may have sit outside some before I got it.

Anyway, I have decided from pr and liability aspect, I need to put a new hose and retainer on the machine. Who is to say another leak will not happen in a day or two?

jeff1
08-24-2013, 12:14 PM
I have decided from pr and liability aspect, I need to put a new hose and retainer on the machine

Good idea!
Do you give away fill hoses also?
new machines no longer come with them but we also leave a new set of fill hoses in every used washer we set to prevent any liability issues.

jeff.

Boman
08-24-2013, 01:57 PM
Funny you should mention the fill hoses. This has been on my mind lately. For the last few sales I have managed to avoid supplying fill hoses for the very reason you mentioned. If there is a trade in, I encourage them to keep their hoses.

When I first started messing with these again, I would buy a few used hoses. Then I got to thinking about the possibilty of them bursting. Now I have several around the shop. Now I shy away from supplying used hoses, even though they look good.

This thing with the drain hose re-enforces my reluctance at using some used parts.

jeff1
08-25-2013, 03:18 AM
This thing with the drain hose re-enforces my reluctance at using some used parts.

Some things are not worth re-using!

jeff.