PDA

View Full Version : Kelvinator lid lock

Boman
08-22-2013, 02:42 AM
Model - mwx233rbw2
Serial - xc53183038
Believed to be 1985 model

When does the lid lock on this machine lock, during spin? Or, anytime it is running?

Haven't put power to it yet but suspect the lid switch/lock to be acting up. It shows continuity whether it is depressed or not. Makes no clicking sound when depressed.

The previous owner said something about setting it to run and walking off and waiting for it to start or something to that effect.

jeff1
08-22-2013, 02:54 AM
Howdy,

When does the lid lock on this machine lock, during spin? Or, anytime it is running?

Just during the spin. The locking part doesn't click...is just heats up and slowly moves to lock the lid so it cannot be opened during the spin mode.

400 Lid lock w/external safety switch Manufacturer Number 134101800 (http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=916791)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wTfPVyT71aU

jeff.

Boman
08-25-2013, 12:20 PM
I almost forgot about this. I tried this machine. It will fill with water, then nothing until I move the timer to spin. It then pumps the water out and spins.
So, at this point, no agitation. I took the belt off and can turn the trans one way but not the other.

I am still a little baffled by the lid switch showing continuity whether it is depressed or not, yet raise the lid and it stops spinning. I'll hjave to double check that. It still does not make sense to me.

jeff1
08-26-2013, 02:19 AM
It will fill with water, then nothing until I move the timer to spin.

What happens instead of agitating? Timer moves? Motor hummmmmmms? Motor runs but no agitation? Sits there dead?

jeff.

Boman
08-26-2013, 09:44 AM
I'll have to recheck to see if the timer moved. It does just sit there with no hum or anything. I have not waited long enough to know if the timer actually moves. It does move through the spin cycle, if I remember correctly.

I will remove the belt and see if the motor does anything when in wash cycle.
Hmm, will this motor run with the belt off, if it is good? No belt switch? Seems like I saw something between the motor and the trans along the belt.

Think I'll see if I can look at a diagram of it.

Seems what I saw was an idler pulley.

jeff1
08-26-2013, 01:05 PM
will this motor run with the belt off

Yes.

jeff.

Boman
08-27-2013, 12:42 AM
I noticed I had marked 'Trans' on this machine indicating I suspected the transmission. It does hum when it should agitate until it trips the plug strip I had it on. I had it on a 10 or 12' extention cord plugged into the strip. Sounds hokey, but others run on this setup with no problem. The motor did run when the belt was removed. Sometimes when I do this, I will try to bog the motor down while it is running. This one seems to run strong.

I just stripped it down for the motor and other parts that may be used at some point.

jeff1
08-27-2013, 02:27 AM
It does hum when it should agitate

he motor did run when the belt was removed

Something locked up inside the tranny for sure.

jeff.