PDA

View Full Version : bench testing a timer

Boman
09-05-2013, 11:56 PM
Do you test a timer with all the wires disconnected?

I ordered one off Ebay and decided to ohm it out before applying power to it.

I thought it was odd that it sounded like something was loose in it when you turned it upside down or shook it a little.

When I took my old one apart an A shaped like blade with contacts came out. I'm thinking this is what is rattling in the new one.

It was said to be a new one. Someone just ordered the wrong part and the seller would not allow it to be returned.

Anyway, should it be tested bare of any wires, with all the wires connected, does it matter?

The number on it is 8299781 (Whlpl). The violet lead seems to be the trouble maker so far. If red, blue and violet are supposed to be closed, violet will not give a reading as it is.

I did not want to put power to it, it not work and then try to return it to the seller I got it from. I only put it on the dryer so I could tell what cycle I was testing.

jeff1
09-06-2013, 02:18 AM
Do you test a timer with all the wires disconnected?

You can ohm the contacts as per wire diagram, wires would have to be disconnected for this.

I ordered one off Ebay and decided to ohm it out before applying power to it.

I thought it was odd that it sounded like something was loose in it when you turned it upside down or shook it a little.

That does NOT sound normal!

Anyway, should it be tested bare of any wires, with all the wires connected, does it matter?

You can ohm the contacts as per wire diagram, wires would have to be disconnected for this.

The violet lead seems to be the trouble maker so far. If red, blue and violet are supposed to be closed, violet will not give a reading as it is.

Does the wire diagram show it closed at a certain place/spot...but it is not?

jeff.