PDA

View Full Version : Help with Kenmore ( Whirlpool) 665.1691591 Lights, but won't cycle or drain

JMDZ
09-16-2013, 02:11 AM
Hello. I have an older Kenmore 665.1691591 dishwasher. I understand it was manufactured by Whirlpool. I only run a load every other week and the appliance has always performed flawlessly.

When I went to start a wash cycle tonight, I noticed there was still water in the bottom of the machine. I closed the door and pressed drain. "02 Minutes" lights up as normal and I hear a click from the control board area, but that's it. Doesn't drain, doesn't make any noises like it's trying to drain. When I press the start or cycle buttons I hear beeps and the display lights up reflecting the chosen cycle as it does normally, but again...that's it. I hear no noises consistent with the machine actually attempting to start a cycle. The display does light up to notify me when the door is open and it goes out when the door is properly secured.

I tried shutting the power off at the circuit board to see if that would clear any electrical issues, but no change.

Main control board or something else?

Thank you in advance for any assistance or suggestions.

jeff1
09-16-2013, 02:25 AM
Hi,

Main control board or something else?

With no filling, no motor for wash, no motor for drain...does sound more like the control issue....but that is coming up as NLA :(

D/w shopping time.

jeff.

JMDZ
09-16-2013, 10:49 AM
Hi,

With no filling, no motor for wash, no motor for drain...does sound more like the control issue....but that is coming up as NLA :(

D/w shopping time.

jeff.

Afraid of that. Thank you for responding.

jeff1
09-16-2013, 12:41 PM
Your welcome :)

jeff.

JMDZ
09-23-2013, 09:05 PM
Update: I was able to source a refurbished control board for my Kenmore. Installed it today and the machine behaves EXACTLY as described above.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Edit: When I turn the lower spray arm by hand should it spin freely (which mine does) or as though I'm spinning a motor along with it?

jeff1
09-24-2013, 01:18 AM
When I turn the lower spray arm by hand should it spin freely (which mine does) or as though I'm spinning a motor along with it?

Spray arm should just spin freely.

Can you post a copy of the wire diagram that comes with the unit?

jeff.

JMDZ
09-24-2013, 01:40 AM
Here you go...thanks again!

jeff1
09-24-2013, 12:44 PM
Lets check those door switches...

426 Dishwasher door switch repair kit Manufacturer Number 4318273 (http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=2713)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7ADmjGIBq4&feature=player_embedded

jeff.

JMDZ
09-24-2013, 03:16 PM
Will do when I get home today. Please forgive the dumb question, but can the switch have failed if the display is showing "Door Open" when the door is open and that alert turns off when the door is closed? Second dumb question: Why are there two switches for the single purpose of ensuring the door is closed/latched?

Also, there is a problem with your link to "Attachment 425"

jeff1
09-24-2013, 04:40 PM
but can the switch have failed if the display is showing "Door Open" when the door is open and that alert turns off when the door is closed?

Huh?

Why are there two switches for the single purpose of ensuring the door is closed/latched?

Often 1 for line and 1 for nuetral.

jeff.

JMDZ
09-24-2013, 04:50 PM
Huh?

jeff.

When I open the door to my dishwasher, the unit's display says "Door Open" as it normally does. When I close the door, that message goes away, again as normal. (The dishwasher still won't start.)

To the novice layperson (me), that seemed as though the door switch(es) are OK. I'm VERY grateful for your help and will be happy to test them, I was just trying to understand as I go along.

JMDZ
09-24-2013, 08:32 PM
OK. The middle switch tested bad and looked like it overheated.

Mine has 3 switches?

jeff1
09-25-2013, 01:10 AM
Odd to see three for sure!
As a test, the one that tested bad, join and tape the wires together to see what happens.

Suppose to be a replacement update kit...

429 430 Dishwasher door switch repair kit Manufacturer Number 4318273 (http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=2713)

jeff.

JMDZ
09-25-2013, 11:55 AM
Cut and taped the wires from the bad switch, turned the breaker back on, manipulated the handle to the locked position, started the drain function and the machine fired right up. Ordered a switch kit. At this point that sure looks like it will take care of it.

Jeff, thank you very much for your help and patience.

jeff1
09-25-2013, 12:25 PM
Glad to hear we are getting somewhere :)

jeff.

JMDZ
09-28-2013, 12:16 PM
I installed the new switch kit and did a load of dishes last night.

You can officially put me in the "FIXED" category....with thanks.

jeff1
09-28-2013, 12:34 PM
Thankx for the update :)

jeff.