PDA

View Full Version : Bad compressor?

Boman
09-20-2013, 02:11 AM
Frigdaire by Electrolux
Model - PLHT21STCK4
Serial # - LA40300497

This thing checks good electricall, if I am thinking right. & ohms common to start, 5ohms common to run, and 12 ohms run to start. I think I can hear something in the compressor, but it does not definitely come on. When I tried to check the voltage at the compressor terminals, it was something wild. I think may if my amp meter was working properly, it would tell me the compressor is locked up.

Someone had already put a hards start on it and a saddle valve to charge it with.

My first inclination was to think it was so low on gas, it could not start. I was told a refrigerator compressor would kick on with no freon in it. True?

Anyway, with it being charged once, and I think I might see a crack in the line, I expect it may be a junker.

Dang good looking unit to have to junk out.

Jeff, didn't you use a cheater wire to check compressors? If so, got a picture of it?

jeff1
09-20-2013, 12:29 PM
Howdy,

I was told a refrigerator compressor would kick on with no freon in it. True?

Correct.

Jeff, didn't you use a cheater wire to check compressors? If so, got a picture of it?

jeff.

Boman
09-20-2013, 03:18 PM
Thanks Jeff. I made one this morning. I happened to get it right. But, I decided to check the voltage though the hard start cap/relay. It is getting 120 to both leads. So I'm thinking no reason to try the cheater cord. This compressor is evidently bad mechanically. It did check okay electrically.
So, if the relay is getting power at both run and start, compressor does not kick on, this indicates a jammed compressor. Right?

Or do I need to check it with the cheater in case something else is interfering? Hmm, guess if it is getting power off the fridge, it should be getting power while on it too though. I mean it is not like it in defrost mode or a stat or temp control has it off.

jeff1
09-20-2013, 05:20 PM
Fan(s) running and the compressor is getting 120 jolts but is not running = a bad compressor.

jeff.

Boman
09-24-2013, 12:22 PM
Okay, I had to try the cheater cord. The compressor came on. I let it run for a little bit. The fan was not running and the comprssor got very hot. It stayed hot for a pretty good little while after the cord was removed.

How long would it take for the compressor to heat up with no fan on?
Would having no gas cause it to heat up faster and hotter?

Why would the leads on the hard start read to have correct voltage but not start the compressor? Bad terminals? Weak hard start?

Actually, now that I think about it, someone had just half-way taped the power leads of the hard start. I'm thinking there may have been a bad connection there. Bad connection and leak. I wire nutted and taped the connections , and the compressor still did not want to run until I put the cheater on it.
I guess the damage is done.

jeff1
09-24-2013, 12:46 PM
How long would it take for the compressor to heat up with no fan on?

A good 15+ minutes....unless the compressor was drawing too much current, would/could happen faster.

Would having no gas cause it to heat up faster and hotter?

Yes, cool gas sucked back from the evaporator helps to also cool the compressor.

Why would the leads on the hard start read to have correct voltage but not start the compressor? Bad terminals? Weak hard start?

Loose wire, bad relay/overload kit.

jeff.