PDA

View Full Version : Dead three year old dryer!

saducommun
09-21-2013, 02:27 PM
I have an Estate electric dryer - model number EED4400WQ0. It uses the four wire power cord. It has the small front opening and the door swings to the right.

The dryer went dead in the middle of the timed dry cycle. I have tried everything indicated in the troubleshooting section of the owner's manual; with no results. The customer service helpline for Estate is only interested in scheduling an expensive repair-tech rather than working with me to resolve the problem.:mad:

I just graduated from college at the end of June and currently have about $26. to my name. So, I have to try to fix this myself (hopefully). While I do have FIY skills, working with electricity is not one of those skills. My experience with things electric amount to getting a really good shock from a 220 cord... twice....(and a whole string of brand curse words to go with it!).

I have checked the circuit breakers, flipped both switches off and on (just in case). I opened the panel in the back of the dryer as well as the control panel on top to check for wiring that was burned or exposed, as well as anything else unusual. This dryer is three years old and looks like it on the inside. Everything looked fine. The vent is venting and I even checked to make sure the dryer is still level. It is.

So, what do you think may be the problem and how do I proceed from here? Help!

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Shawn DuCommun

Boman
09-21-2013, 03:37 PM
Does nothing? First thing I would check if I know the power is there would be the door switch. Does it click when you push down on it? If it is the clickable type, it could be an indication it is bad if it does not click when actuated.
I'm sure Jeff will be along and give more in depth instructions.

jeff1
09-21-2013, 07:47 PM
Hi all,

Q - My dryer is dead, what could do that ?

A- Common problems...blown house fuse/tripped breaker ( electric dryers need 2 )...loose white/neutral wire...broken belt ( on some models only )...door switch/door switch bracket...*thermal fuse open ( venting needs attention )...broken or burnt wire...timer...motor...burnt power cord/plug...start switch ( especially the ones with a built in relay switch )

* If you find a blown thermal fuse, always clean, change, adjust the venting system and vent hood first.

Dryer will not run.

No power to unit
Door switch not making.
Thermal fuse open.
Thermal Cutout Open
Broken belt or belt switch.
Timer
Motor
Push-to-Start Switch

Check voltage supply. make sure you have both legs 110 + 110 = 220
Check door switch and wiring and continuity.
Check thermal fuse continuity.- if blown replace the thermal fuse and the cycling thermostat Check the heating element for a short to ground - check the air intake screen inside of the dryer drum for a dryer sheet stuck to the air intake screen. - You can bypass the thermal fuse (just connect the 2 wires together) for testing purposes only.
Check thermal cutout continuity -Check the heating element for a short to ground - check the air intake screen inside of the dryer drum for a dryer sheet stuck to the air intake screen. - You can bypass the thermal cut-out (just connect the 2 wires together) for testing purposes only.
Check for broken belt or check belt switch
for continuity.
Check timer contacts for continuity.
Check voltage to motor, contacts 4 & 5, (12OVAC). Check motor windings for
continuity, (2-4 ohms).
Check PTS contacts Ri - R2, while pushing start switch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3nicyh6EUHc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tDQ0X1LRhpg

Hope something here helps :)

jeff.

saducommun
09-21-2013, 08:44 PM
Thank you for the help. I double checked the door switch and it seems to be working as it always has. It does click closed and the door fits firmly in place.
I KNEW I should have stuck with a Kenmore!

jeff1
09-22-2013, 01:44 AM
Definetly check the thermal fuse....it should be on the fan blower housing.

jeff.