View Full Version : oven control (Crosley)

Boman
09-27-2013, 11:33 AM
Crosley range
Model CE35111AAA
Serial - 15353287WY

Got this in yesterday. As soon as I turn the oven switch on bake, it began to sizzle and smoke like it had water in it (the switch). I kept messing with it, until a couple of the trminals on the switch came out as I tried to remove the wires. It was burned up that bad.

Is it normal for these to sizzle when they go out?

Also, when I check the oven elements with my meter set on sound, I get no sound, but it will show like 22 ohms resistance. When I touch the leads of the meter together, I get the beep, but I am still not sure if the meter is working properly.

And I think I get a reading between one of the lines and the cabinet as if that line is shorted somewhere at or past the switch.

Main question right now is, is the sizzle normal when a switch like this burns out, or is it an indication water was in the switch?
I'm thinking the stove sat outside over night and either got a little rain or dew inside of it before I got it.

Think the elements are okay even though I get no beep as long as they show somewhere between 12 and 50 ohms or whatever?

The switch would not smoke until the lines were put on the elements. I guess this was just making the circuit. The bake part of the switch seems to be the problem area.

jeff1
09-27-2013, 12:35 PM
G'day,

Sizzzzzling normally is a burnt contact acr/sparking inside = bad.

22 ohms is good for the elements. Most will range from 18-100 ohms approx.

Where all other wires removed when you have a reading between line and ground?

431 Oven thermostat Manufacturer Number 74005019 (http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=778549)

jeff.

Boman
09-27-2013, 02:21 PM
Where all other wires removed when you have a reading between line and ground?

Nope. I still have to run that down. My concern is making sure everything is okay before I attempt to put another thermostat in for fear of blowing it or something else due to a short.

jeff1
09-27-2013, 04:04 PM
Nope. I still have to run that down

Could have been accidentally reading something else unless you isolate the item you want to check.

jeff.

Boman
09-29-2013, 12:33 PM
When I removed the wires from the thermostat, I get no reading.

I guess I will look at the schematic and check the wires to and from the thermostat next.

I did come across a Modern Maid drop-in stove that had a thermostat I thought might be the same, but had no way of knowing without getting the model number and checking.

I kind of think the MM goes back farther than the Crosley.

jeff1
09-29-2013, 12:49 PM
And I think I get a reading between one of the lines and the cabinet as if that line is shorted somewhere at or past the switch.

When I removed the wires from the thermostat, I get no reading.

No short to ground then.

I did come across a Modern Maid drop-in stove that had a thermostat I thought might be the same, but had no way of knowing without getting the model number and checking.

Correct.

jeff.