PDA

View Full Version : No fan for comperssor

Boman
10-12-2013, 01:13 AM
This is a series 14 Kenmore fridge 14.1 cubic ft. Is just the water from the defrost draining into the pan on top of the compressor supposed to keep this thing cool with no fan?

Could not find a model number anywhere on it. I would also like to know how to get the bottom panel out of the freezer compartment. I guess with no model number that may be hard to explain.

Don't know if I have evr not been able to find a model number.

jeff1
10-12-2013, 01:20 AM
Is just the water from the defrost draining into the pan on top of the compressor supposed to keep this thing cool with no fan?

The heat from the compressor is suppose to evaporate the defrost water from the pan.
This has a static condenser on the back?

I would also like to know how to get the bottom panel out of the freezer compartment. I guess with no model number that may be hard to explain

Yup!!

Could not find a model number anywhere on it

None inside, outside, down near the crisper?

jeff.

Boman
10-12-2013, 11:56 AM
Yes it does have the condensor coils on the back.

None inside, outside, down near the crisper?

Not that I have been able to find...yet.

I think maybe the main problem this thing has is a bad bottom door gasket. Probably not worth the price of a new one, but I couldn't order one anyway without the numbers.

It has been diagnosed as needing gas. I removed the rear freezer panel, and it has a nice even frost pattern. The gasket is in rough shape. I have checked part of the gasket for sealing with a dollar bill, and it seemed to be sealing. But, when I got it in the shop and was looking at it, I noticed a place on the bottom that is really rough and needs checking.
I just need to check to see if it is sealing and eliminate other possible problems. May have a gasket or door That can be switched.

Thanks for confirming the no fan situation.

jeff1
10-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Yes it does have the condensor coils on the back.

No forced air fan then, just uses natural air movement to remove the heat from the condensor coils.

It has been diagnosed as needing gas. I removed the rear freezer panel, and it has a nice even frost pattern.

If the frost stays with the warmth of your hand, may not be a gas/system issue.

jeff.

Boman
10-13-2013, 11:57 PM
I checked this thing this evening and there was moisture in the freezer. Would Energy Miser setting have something to do with this? The seal seems to be sealing. In fact there was a very thin ice film on the back panel.

It is very possible I sprayed it yesterday with a bleach solution and/or cleaning solution and did not wipe it down.

I wiped it down tonight. I did not get the thin ice film off the back. It is just thick enough to feel when wiping.

I guess tomorrow I may remove the back panel again to see if the evap coil is freezing up. I don't really think so since the temps are looking good everytime I check it (several times a day).

Ahem, btw,

Model - 106.8344780
:o

Side of cabinet by a crisper drawer.

P.S. Someone had put what looked like metal duct tape in the tray above the compressor. I hope they did not do it to cover a hole. I removed it. Just seemed the thing to do thinking it would make it easier for evaporation to occur. Also noticed they had duct taped around the drain hose where it comes out of the back. That reminds me, I meant to blow the drain hose out. I did pour some water through it. I want to make sure it is clear as it looks like someone may have had a water problem.

jeff1
10-14-2013, 12:23 AM
Someone had put what looked like metal duct tape in the tray above the compressor. I hope they did not do it to cover a hole.

Check for a rust hole for sure...just to be safe.

I checked this thing this evening and there was moisture in the freezer. Would Energy Miser setting have something to do with this?

Nope, that should be for heaters in the center bar between the freezer and fresh food section....the heater prevents moisture there from the temp differences. "Suppose" to be able to shut off the heaters in the winter when the humidity goes down, we leave ours on all year round.

jeff.

Boman
10-14-2013, 11:53 AM
Check for a rust hole for sure

Will do. I had poured some water through the drain in the freezer to see that it would drain and checked the floor for any water under the fridge. There was no water in the floor, but I think there could still be a hole covered by corrosion or crud. Thing gets banged around a little during moving, and it may leak. I wiped the water from the tray that had run through the drain the next day when I cleaned it. may have a hole in the side that did not have much, if any, water in it from being a little off level.

I will check for that and see if there is moisture in the freezer today. I know I wiped it out yesterday, and there should not be moisture in it today to any extent