Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Whirlpool Duet Sport Pump?

You mean remove the pump itself from the bottom of the cabinet?
    No, leave it there but disconnect the wires so you can still hear all other parts of the washer operate without the drain pump running.

What if completely remove the pump and put a test wire to it? 110 ac? If I could do that, might more conclusive results.
    Yes and no....often a pump can work ok when bench testing it but will act differently when in the machine and asked to work normal like.

What if I remove the belt then it put in rinse/spin? It will do nothing , right?
    ?it? The motor and drain pump should still run but no tumbling or spinning.

jeff.
    http://www.applianceaid.com/
    Appliance Repair Aid

I had disconnected the wires to the pump once to isolate it. The machine did nothing. I figured okay, communication problem. Now I think Maybe I should have given it a few seconds. I will try again when I get time.

Speaking of things acting different when asked to work, this is what I was a little concerned about regarding the motor. Sounds fine with the belt off and not having to turn the drum. Maybe I need to hook up a belt to the pulley, run it to a stationary bike and give the drum a turn or two without the motor or pump running.

Didn't watch Fred Flintstone all those years for naught!
    Last edited by Boman; 09-22-2014 at 02:10 PM.

Didn't watch Fred Flintstone all those years for naught!
    LOL!!

jeff.
    Appliance Repair Aid

Thought I might revisit this subject. I got a chance to try this thing today for a bit. When it was just pumping the water out, it was very quiet and normal sounding. When it spins is when it makes the noise. The thing is, the sound stays at the same tempo no matter how fast the drum spins. I put a stethoscope on the back and on the pump. Got noise from both places. The pump has a grinding like sound when the stethoscope is placed on it. The back almost sounds like water being thrown hard against something. Thing is, it is hard to tell if the sound is we hear in the video is coming from the pump or the back inside the two halfs around the drum. Almost like the sound is transmitting from one and being heard at both places.

Oh, and I don't thing this one does anything with the pump disconnected. I had doing something. When I pulled the wires from the pump, it stopped what it was doing until the wires were replaced. I think it was spinning.

The fact hat it pumps the water out quietly but makes a noise when it is spinning makes A bearing ot flange suspect. Right? But, the tempo does not change. That is throwing me off.

The fact hat it pumps the water out quietly but makes a noise when it is spinning makes A bearing ot flange suspect. Right?
    It would.

But, the tempo does not change. That is throwing me off.
    Odd!

jeff.
    Appliance Repair Aid

Now that I am at work I listened again to the video....still sounds like just the pump sucking in air when there is no more water to pump.....which is normal.
    There might be a -slight- louder bearing noise but seemed like nothing terrible.

jeff.
    Appliance Repair Aid

pump sucking in air
    That might explain making a sound when it is spinning with no water in it and no change in tempo. I kind of feel like the pump has a small amount of damage and is making a sound when empty that can be picked up with the stehoscope kinda like a grinding sound which transferrs to the back maybe through a recirculation hose. I think we are on to something here. I just can't remember ever hearing one do this. This makes me think the pump has some damage.

Right now, this thing works like a charm, just has that sound in it.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Boman; 11-13-2014 at 01:09 PM.