Thread: grounded breaker popping

Default grounded breaker popping

I bought a used frig. it worked for a few days, now it keep popping the 20a breaker. If I disconnect the ground, it then works fine. I even trued a completely different circuit and again it pops in a few seconds, but if I disconnect the 3rd wire ground, it then works fine.

ideas?

tks,
    pa

Sounds like something is shorting to ground in the fridge. If you disconnect the ground then the frame of the fridge may go hot and become a shock hazzard. The ground is there for safety and doing it's job.

Hi all,

Refrigerator make?
    Model#?

it worked for a few days, now it keep popping the 20a breaker.
    When the breaker trips is the refrigerator running or starts to run before the breaker trips, off with no sounds before the breaker trips?

If you disconnect the ground then the frame of the fridge may go hot and become a shock hazzard.
    For sure, a deadly hazard if some one touches the refrigerator and a cold water pipe/sink/another appliance!

jeff.
    http://www.applianceaid.com/
    Appliance Repair Aid

6.6 and 2.7 ohms from hot and neutral (or neutral and hot) wires to frig metal case.

pics:

http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/...tml#post868779

You should be measuring for shorts to ground if you want to find the issue of the breaker tripping when the ground pin is plugged in.
    Operation Overlord.

Sounds like a 9.3 ohm coil or element that has shorted to the frame. Remove the wires to the compressor (hopefully its on a removable connector) and retest. If the resistance is now infinite, you found the problem device. If its not the compressor, then maybe a defrost element or something else.
    Mark
    Kent, WA

6.6 and 2.7 ohms from hot and neutral (or neutral and hot) wires to frig metal case
    ??

What where you looking for? Pics won't work for me as I am not a member there.

Where you trying to check the compressor pins to ground? First check to see if you have windings in the compressor. Then check to see if they are grounded. If the compressor has windings and they are not grounded, you can find which winding is which. Check for grounded windings by reading from each terminal to a good ground on the cabinet.

jeff.
    http://www.applianceaid.com/
    Appliance Repair Aid