Thread: Magic Chef Wall Oven Controller Disassembly

Threaded View

Question Magic Chef Wall Oven Controller Disassembly

Hi All;

I have an old Magic Chef wall oven (B59FN5TVW) and the broil element won't work. The element is fine and it's the controller/clock (7601P180-60) that's the problem.
    I've removed the controller and determined that the broiler relay has a cracked/cold solder joint (I can actually see it). The repair is simply to re-solder the terminal. The controller is no longer available so replacement is not possible (I've done that before)

The problem is, this controller consists of 3 circuit boards stacked one on top of the other within a plastic front mounting plate. There are plastic posts which hold the relay board to the assembly. The problem is these posts have been intentionally melted at the factory (probably to prevent repair attempts) and I can see no way to separate the boards so I can get to the rear side of the relay board to re-solder it. I know that there are companies who will repair these controllers so there must be some way to separate them without destroying the fixture. I'm quite handy with electronics and would like to do the repair myself - mostly to save the down time of shipping the controller and possibly losing it.

Does anyone have experience repairing this controller and know how to separate the boards? Any help getting these darn boards apart would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    AMNESIA

This is the front of the 7601P180-60 controller

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7601P180-60 front.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	904

This is the relay board on the rear side of the controller (note the 4 black dots (2 on each side) which are the melted plastic holding the thing together

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7601P180-60 rear.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	905
    Last edited by jeff1; 11-12-2014 at 01:38 AM.