Appliance tip of the week...

Lament of a Parts Person

I work behind the counter of a parts and accessories store. Sometimes I'm called the genius; sometimes I'm called lots more. I'm just a simple parts person but when a job goes sick, the experts come to me and ask, "What makes this darn thing tick?" I'm supposed to know the numbers of tubes and bolts and gears, on every product that's been made for more than forty years. Mind-reader and magician, and handyman as well. I'm supposed to be an Edison plus Alexander Bell. But life would be a pleasure and I'd smile from ear to ear, if people just would tell me the MODEL, MAKE and YEAR!

If your cooking appliances have been acting up, look into getting them repaired well in advance of the holidays. Some common components may be in short supply in peak seasons, leaving you eating out or ordering in during those family holiday times!.

So it's the holidays, and you're responsible for the main dish. Don't worry; you're only five steps away from serving the perfect bird at your big feast. Read on to learn how to cook a turkey.

Step 1: Thaw it. If using a frozen turkey, thaw in its original plastic wrapper in the fridge. Allow for five hours per pound, or per 500 g. Quicker method: Cover the turkey with cold water (the sink is a good place for this), and change with fresh cold water every 30 minutes; allow one hour per pound (500 g).

Step 2: Season it. Prepare the turkey by removing giblets and neck. Rinse and wipe the cavity; sprinkle with salt and pepper or stuff lightly using skewers to fasten skin over the cavity.

Step 3: Roast it. Place turkey, breast side up, on rack in roasting pan. Brush with melted butter or oil. Tent loosely with foil. Roast in 325?F (160?C) oven for about 20 minutes per pound (500 g) or until juices run clear when turkey is pierced and when thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 180?F (82?C) for a stuffed turkey or 170?F (77?C) for an unstuffed turkey. Remove tent for last hour of roasting.

Step 4: Cover and leave it. When turkey is done, transfer to warm platter. Tent with foil and let stand for 20 to 30 minutes. This allows time for juices at the surface of the bird to distribute evenly throughout the meat.

Step 5: Carve turkey. Eat and enjoy!

Name:  Coil-Surface-Element-4392061-01199726.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  8.4 KB LINK> Surface coil element replacement kit, 2 eight inch elements, 2 six inch elements, four receptacles and related hardware

Name:  Thermometer-602-90--01354159.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  3.6 KB LINK> Polder 3 function thermometer: large LCD read out displays the temperature of food during cooking. Presettable HI/LOW and inside the range temperature alert. Timer: 24 hour count down and count-up. Clock: Real-time clock. Stainless steel probe. Temperature chart and battery included

Name:  Cooktop-Cleaner-31464-01355003.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  6.8 KB LINK> Cooktop cleaner

Name:  Stainless-Steel-Cleaning-Wipes-8212510A-00665638.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  7.6 KB LINK> Stainless steel wipes

jeff.