Thread: LG Steam Washer - Model WM2688H - Drum Light Stays On

Default LG Steam Washer - Model WM2688H - Drum Light Stays On

Good Day

Over the past week or more my LG Steam Washer is experiencing a problem. At the end of a wash cycle the Drum Light will stay on and as a consequence, I have no activity on the control panel. It does not light up nor will any of the functions work. The solution so far that has worked is to UNPLUG /PLUG the unit and then it will work again for a period of time. It could be one or two washes or work for more. There isn't any pattern. It is aggravating. i have researched the NET and found two possible problems.

1) it could be the Door Switch Assembly
    2) it could be the motherboard

I have talked to a repairman and he said it could almost be anything but wouldn't rule out either of the two possible solutions. I am not interested in bringing a repairman that will change the motherboard to learn it was the Door Switch Assembly nor have the Door Switch Assembly changed to learn that it is the motherboard. So for now, i am unplugging / plugging it in

Hi,

WM2688H
    I found WM2688HNM WM2688HNMA WM2688HWM WM2688HWMA

These -appear- to use this one...
    Name:  Door-Lock-6601ER1004C-01049126.jpg
Views: 2059
Size:  6.9 KB Door switch and latch assembly

But, different model, similier issue linked here.

jeff.
    http://www.applianceaid.com/
    Appliance Repair Aid

Quote Originally Posted by jeff1 View Post
    Hi,

I found WM2688HNM WM2688HNMA WM2688HWM WM2688HWMA

These -appear- to use this one...
    Name:  Door-Lock-6601ER1004C-01049126.jpg
Views: 2059
Size:  6.9 KB Door switch and latch assembly

But, different model, similier issue linked here.

jeff.

Hello Jeff

Thank You for you quick and informational reply. I will followup on and purchase the door switch assembly and provide feedback. In the link you provided to the other forum there was a comment on the possibility of the PCB, display board and the power filter being the cause. What puzzles me - if it is the door assembly switch then why will it work for a few loads and even days then go out and require an unplug / plug to work again. You can here the door lock (I am assuming this is a child protection feature) click shut and the wash proceeds then it correctly works through the wash cycle and then unlatches the locked door at completion, the drum light comes on and then it is a guess whether it will remain on and shutdown the main console or go off and work again without any issue. What is the door assembly switch missing - is it some type of signal ???

Thank you for providing such an excellent forum. Your efforts are appreciated by the common man / woman. I for one certainly appreciate this forum.

Hello Jeff

Thank you so much for the quick and informational reply. I will proceed to order this part or have a technician come in to install it. The video you provided makes it look easy and something I might attempt to do. The hardest part of the exercise appears to be removing the tension rim and then moving the tub liner out of the way. The next step is to undo (2) screws and detach the plug to the assembly then reverse order the steps to re-assemble.

I read through the comments in the other forum (you provided the link) and one gentleman said that they had to replace the PCB, display board and the power filter and even then still had the problem. My curiosity must ask this additional question and please don't get me wrong as I will follow through on the door switch assembly but why does it work so well for as low as one load to as HIGH as many over a few weeks? Once I select my wash cycle I can hear the latch door assembly LOCK prior to the start of any wash. You can try to play with the door but it is Locked until one hits the PAUSE button where after a few seconds will release to allow you to add additional clothes or whatever ... The door will remain locked until the completion of the cycle and then it is anyone's guess if the DRUM LIGHT will stay on forever / or normal flow. I would think that if this unit is temporarily failing or failed then the door wouldn't lock so easily. What puzzles me is the last step of the wash cycle is to end, turn on the drum light, and unlatch the door. I can hear the door unlatch, open it to remove the clothing and shut it to begin the next load then we wait to see what transpires. If the system seconds earlier unlatched the door then it should know that the cycle is completed. What is it that you believe is creating the confusion between the computer (I am assuming) and it recognizing if the door is closed or not from cycle to cycle.

Thank You so much for this forum. It is very helpful and offers the common man / woman a chance and most important provides education to help in determining one should try a DYI fix or to bring in a professional and be in a strong position to talk on an equal level with repair person.

In the link you provided to the other forum there was a comment on the possibility of the PCB, display board and the power filter being the cause. What puzzles me - if it is the door assembly switch then why will it work for a few loads and even days then go out and require an unplug / plug to work again.
    Kinda -sounds- like it may be a design issue/problem to me.....but LG is being tight lipped about it.

jeff.
    Appliance Repair Aid

Kinda -sounds- like it may be a design issue/problem to me.....but LG is being tight lipped about it.

jeff.

Although the problem didn't develop as often I had the door assembly switch replaced. I haven't put it through the volume test but so far I haven't had any issues. The technician said that this door switch had two sensors incorporated into it and that it is possible that one is faulty.

I am in agreement with you that this may be a design issue / problem and now coming to the surface as these machines have been in service for 3 or 4 years. I am hoping that LG as a corporation looks into the matter and has their technicians perform tests to identify the cause otherwise what is known as "Life's Good" will soon be known as "Lousy Goods". I am somewhat confused with this assembly switch door two senors explanation but it makes more sense that it is the Printed Circuit Board (PCB) where all the signals transfer thus shutting down the Control Panel. It is logical - unplug / plug the unit is similar to a computer reboot and I am certain that the PCB is started prior to the Door Assembly switch tests. If it is the sensor one would think that the opening and closing of the front door should somehow resolve it especially that it is a stand alone unit that is electronically merged.

Thank You - will keep you posted

Thankx for the update

jeff.
    Appliance Repair Aid

Thankx for the update

jeff.

Thank You - will continue to put it to the test ... so far it is working without any hiccups ...

I have the WM2801HRA model for 4 year. It also has the "drum light always on" issue since 2 days. Searching online forums and possibly a fix. Glad to know that at least the machine will work with plug/unplug power cord. I think I have 5 yr warranty, will SURE report back. it almost seems more like sensor sensitivity is on slow death. When re-set, it works for small period. Kinda dying rechargeable battery.

Meanwhile, what was your FIX? How is it now after 6months?

thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by LGWasher View Post
    Thank You - will continue to put it to the test ... so far it is working without any hiccups ...
    Last edited by area201; 10-20-2013 at 03:38 PM.